Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Bragging Rights

When you become a parent, you inherit the right to brag about your child. My son now weighs __ lbs! My daughter peed on the potty today like a big girl! My son scored __ points at his basketball game! My daughter is on the Dean's list! It goes on and on and on. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being proud of your child and their accomplishments. You are a proud mama, you have bragging rights! However, I find it quite comical the extent to which some parents brag and/or stretch the truth when it comes to their kids.

I am guilty of bragging. We all are. We all believe that our child is the smartest most beautiful most talented being to exist. However, I do think it is hilarious how far this goes. A few friends and I were discussing recently how funny it is how moms make a competition out of parenthood.

"My daughter was potty trained by 6 months!" Really? Your daughter can't walk or crawl yet she can take herself to the bathroom? Hmm.

"My son could read by age 1!" No way. Your son knows approximately 5 words/phrases: mama, dada, bye bye, dog, and ball. He can't read. Don't kid yourself.

Kids are kids. And while you may be amazed at how smart your little one is, or their newly acquired skill, don't get too ahead of yourself. That oh so smart child will be doing something genius one second and then eating crayons the next. Because he is a KID and that's what they do. Have proud mama moments and brag when it's appropriate... exaggerating excessively and saying things that literally are not possible while hilarious and entertaining to those around you, gets sort of obnoxious.

....This morning Max climbed out of his bed, walked downstairs, made breakfast and vacuumed the living room. He got himself dressed, pottied on the potty, and turned on Sesame Street all without waking mommy. I have such a smart 6 month old!......... okay, I couldn't even type that with a straight face.

No comments:

Post a Comment