Saturday, January 7, 2012

Teething Monster

Happy 5 months to my baby boy! Sometimes it's hard to believe that I am the mother of a (now) 5 month old! Wow! Time really does fly. My boy is very healthy and most days, he is a happy baby. I say MOST days because lately he has been crabby due to teething. He cut his first tooth on the bottom about a week ago (see previous post) and I'm fairly certain that the tooth next to his existing one will be popping through those little gums any day now also. Poor baby is swollen and super drooly and just miserable. His chin is chapped from the excessive drool and his cheeks are red from teething. I have tried everything that I can think of/heard, trying to relieve his pain. We have used vanilla extract on his gums, got a Sophie giraffe (which he does love to chew on), cold teething toys, cold rags, tablets, my fingers (which now hurts from his tiny shark tooth), and Tylenol when it's REALLY bad. I personally don't use Orajel-- no judgment for those that do.. just my personal choice. All of these temporarily relieve my baby but he is still miserable. It is awful for both of us!

I have heard many things about the amber teething necklaces, but I have been skeptical. How can a NECKLACE relieve my baby's teething pain? That's some freaky new age witch doctor business. I don't know about all that. I have heard great things about them and read many reviews online.. all singing the praises of this necklace. Hmm...... well, nothing else has worked for us, or has only worked for a few minutes here and there.... eh, why not? It can't HURT. This is the conversation that I had with my hubby about said necklace:

Me (while browsing online): "I think I'm going to order one of these teething necklaces."
Husband: "What teething necklace?"
Me: "These amber teething necklaces. Remember, I've told you about them before? But you probably don't remember because you don't listen to me."
Husband makes a weird face.
Me: "It's a necklace made out of amber stones and he would wear it under his clothes. It works because his body temperature heats the stones which the release oils that relieve pain, and inflammation, and...."
Husband walks over to the computer.
Husband: "No way. He's not wearing a necklace. He will EAT it. See, that baby right there is why we're not getting it."
Husband points to the picture of the baby wearing necklaces around her neck, arms, and legs, and chewing on one.
Me: "No. It's for WEARING not CHEWING. And he can't wear it while he sleeps. I would be watching him the entire time plus it's UNDER his clothes where he can't grab it!"
I'm defending the necklace? 
Husband walks out of the room.
I continue to shout facts and read reviews to him... which I'm sure he paid no attention to.
I walk into the kitchen where he is.
Me: "I'm getting one. Where's the card?"
He laughs.
Husband: "Card's broken. Wait, you're getting it NOW?"
Me: "Yes! He has been so crabby & nothing helps. So, yes."
Husband: "Oh he's not crabby, he's an angel."
Ha! We both laugh. That's far from the truth.
Me: "They are really supposed to work. I read that...."
I spout off more information.
Husband: "What are you, a witch now? This is like Native American crap."
Me: "Maybe. Anyway, I'm getting it now. People have said that it works within like 2 days."
Husband: "Ok, well if it doesn't work after a week, you have to give me an HOUR LONG back massage!"
Me: "Fine!"
Husband: "Oh I can't WAIT for my massage!"
Me: "You'll see! It works!"

I did it. I ordered one and joined the cult. Should receive the amber necklace in the mail in a week or so. Man, I really hope this thing works. 1. I want Max to have relief 2. I don't want to be wrong and 3. I REALLY don't want to give an hour long massage. My fingers ache just thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment