Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mommy World

It amazes me how much my life has changed in the past year. I am definitely a different person with different interests and priorities. I no longer live in the "real" world... I live in "mommy world". I exist in mommy world with my little one and my mommy thoughts and worries. Things that used to be important no longer are and my day to day life is the opposite of what it was in my pre-mommy days. Aside from the obvious changes of caring for my baby 24/7, lack of sleep, blah blah blah... these are some of the changes that I have undergone since entering mommy world:

-Instead of browsing online for celebrity gossip and clothes for myself, I search the web for: car seat safety, car seat reviews, baby boy clothes, baby food purees, "is this rash normal", age appropriate toys, foam tile play mats, comparing diaper prices, new sheets for crib (even though he's never slept in there.. not sure why I look for new ones), teething remedies, tips on traveling with an infant on a plane, appropriate age for umbrella strollers, infant cpr, "I left my gas burner on low for 3 hours, will the gas leak hurt my baby"... I could go on and on and on.. but you get the point.

-I open Pandora on my phone and the last station is no longer Red Hot Chili Peppers or John Mayer... it's Nursery Rhymes or Lullabies.

-I now have mommy friends and 98% of the conversations I have with my other moms friends revolve around my son, their kids, sharing tips, swapping coupons for diapers or formula, and bragging about the new trick our oh-so-smart little ones picked up that week.

-While I do get amusement out of seeing people's pictures and posts from their "crazy weekend" on facebook, I would rather stalk my facebook friends pages with kids or that are pregnant. Looking at their newest pictures and reading their updates on their babies while commenting things like "she is getting so big! How much does she weigh now?" "Where did you find that ___? I've been looking all over!" "Oh no, he has a cold? This is what I did and it helped Max..." "I felt like that when I was pregnant too! Eating ___ worked!"

I adore my non-mom friends and I am very interested in what's going on in their lives and hearing their stories... however, I can now relate to a whole different group of people. And while we may not have been close friends before entering mommy world, now that we are permanent residents, we have a sort of bond and relationship with each other that would not have existed otherwise. I like mommy world. It has allowed me to experience another side of life. A very unselfish side that is rewarding beyond measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment