Friday, January 27, 2012

Follow the Leader

During some of my obsessive web research, I've stumbled across baby-led weaning (BLW) articles and information numerous times. I quickly browsed and dismissed the idea. BLW is just what it sounds like.. allowing baby to "lead" the process of introducing solid foods into their diet. No more purees. You simply allow baby to join into mealtime whenever they are ready (usually around 6 months-ish, say the experts)... or when they are trying to grab food and feed themselves. You allow them to eat what you eat and allow them to do it themselves. Obviously as a parent, you offer foods in sizes that they can handle and avoid the obvious hazards... peanuts, honey, etc. Just common sense. Anywho, I've read the information and thought nooo way. He will choke. Not interested, not happening. Like most things that I've responded to in that way, I have changed my mind. Well, actually, Max has changed it for me.

Aside from cereal, Max has not been a fan of purees. He seems to be more and more interested in our food daily. Yesterday I was holding a piece of banana bread and Max in the same arm/hand. Before I knew it, Max had grabbed a chunk of bread and shoved it into his mouth. I fished out the chunk but allowed a few crumbs to stay. He chewed and swallowed. Then leaned forward with his mouth open for more. I gave him a few more tiny pieces. Loved it. I thought hmmm.... maybe instead of puree-ing the green beans, I will cut them into pieces and let him feed himself. He smashed most of them onto his highchair tray. A couple pieces did make their way into his mouth. He chewed one by one, made a funny face, gagged a little, then swallowed. And repeated. Hmm... interesting. This morning as I was mixing some cereal I thought I wonder if he would eat a little toast.... I toasted bread, spread a little butter (unsalted, don't freak out on me) cut it into a triangle and handed it to him. He smacked the toast and began to claw it, getting butter under his nails... then picked up the toast and opened his mouth. I watched as he made a funny face at first, but then began to gnaw and suck on it... a few crumbs got into his mouth. He chewed and swallowed. He went back for more. I sat in astonishment watching my little baby feed himself toast like a big boy. Once he got the bread nice and soggy, he seemed to lose interest so I tore off a few small pieces and set them on the tray. One by one he picked them up and chewed and swallowed. There was a tiny gag and I held back my panic as he worked it around his mouth all by himself. He loved it!

I guess we will skip over most of the purees and allow him to eat actual food... since that seems to be what he prefers. It will be a mess and at the beginning he will be more into exploring the tastes and textures rather than consuming a large quantity... but that's okay, he is getting the nutrients he needs from his bottle anyway. In the meantime I will watch him and be amazed that he can do more and more things on his own. Just following his lead!

No comments:

Post a Comment