Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Mommy Brain

Mommy Brain: a real and serious ailment. You are scatterbrained, forgetful, confused, and clumsy. Oh, you're not clumsy? Maybe that's just me. I'm very clumsy. And uncoordinated. And unorganized. And... crazy?? No, not crazy. Even though my husband thinks that I am losing my mind half of the time. It's "mommy brain". And it's not an excuse, it's the REASON.

My mother (bless her) has had 6 kids, the youngest of which are twins. Aside from being a saint, she is the most ditzy woman I have ever met. My siblings and I would laugh and roll our eyes at mom and her craziness and she would say "it's from having so many kids!" And she was right. I like to think of myself as a fairly intelligent individual. I'm no genius, but I'm no dummy and "ditzy" is something that I AM NOT. Or WAS not anyway. Since having Max, my brain is no longer my own. It is now mommy brain. The following are examples of what my new brain has caused me to do:

-I threw my mascara into the trash can instead of into my make-up bag
-I put salt in my coffee instead of Splenda
-I often forget words, confuse words, and jumble words (example: Did you wash the poffee cot? I mean toffee pot? I mean coffee.... UGHHH THE COFFEE THING... COFFEE POT!)
-I walked back and forth from my bedroom to the bathroom 4 times before stopping in the hallway and asking myself what I was supposed to be doing... Oh! Tampon! That's right.
-I stirred the noodles I was cooking and then threw the dirty spoon back into the drawer
-I carry dirty diapers from room to room forgetting to throw them in the trash
-I tried to put the crock pot "away" in the fridge (in my defense, the fridge is NEXT to the cabinet where the crock pot goes)
-At least twice a day I walk into a room and stare at the wall in a trance for a solid 20 seconds before saying "hmm..." and walking out. Never knowing why I went in there in the first place.

Now I admit that I had done one or several of those things before ever having Max. It is common to get distracted or to have a "brain fart". The difference between a brain fart and mommy brain is this: a brain fart happens occasionally while mommy brain causes these things multiple times a day. We're not crazy. Well, not yet. I am entertained by my new brain. I just laugh at myself and in a sing-song voice say to Max, "Mommy's losing her mind!". He smiles. He has a sick sense of humor. He's proud of what he's done to me.

3 comments:

  1. HAHA! Yep, so true! I was telling Mike the other day that I needed to find and address to send a Christmas card to a couple at our church and called them Bon and Ronnie. Their names are Ron and Bonnie. HAHA!! And don't even get me started on calling the girls the wrong name. Sometimes I even call them the right name and second guess myself. It only gets worse - aren't you excited?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. happens to the best of us!! i have to send myself text messages the night before to remind myself to do things the next morning such as.."put the laundry in the dryer"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this :) I do things like this all the time, still! While I was pregnant, I thought the mommy brain would pass. I realize now that it's here to stay. I tell Raegan, "Mommy is crazy." or "Mommy is silly." She can now repeat it back to me. lol

    ReplyDelete